Millwall caretaker manager Adam Barrett takes charge of what could be his final match as the Lions host Cardiff, with Gary Rowett tipped to take over.
Ryan Leonard is a doubt after missing the loss at Brentford with injury.
Cardiff could recall Lee Tomlin after the midfielder impressed when he came on as a substitute in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday.
Sol Bamba moved a step closer to his return from injury in an Under-23 game on Monday, but is unlikely to start.
- There have been just six goals scored in the last eight league meetings between Millwall and Cardiff since a 3-3 draw in March 2011.
- Cardiff have won just one of their last nine away league visits to Millwall (W1 D6 L2), a 2-0 win in September 2012.
- Millwall have won just one of their last nine league games (D4 L4), although this was their last home match in the Championship (2-1 v Leeds United).
- Cardiff City have lost eight of their last nine games played on Tuesday in all competitions.
- Millwall striker Matt Smith has been involved in four goals in four league starts against Cardiff City (3 goals, 1 assist).
- Cardiff manager Neil Warnock has won just two of his last 20 away league games in London (W2 D6 L12), with one of those away at Millwall with Leeds in March 2012.
A man who drove at cyclists and police officers outside Parliament has been jailed for life for attempted murder.
Salih Khater, 30, of Highgate Street, Birmingham, aimed his car at members of the public before swerving towards the officers in Parliament Square on 14 August 2018.
He must serve at least 15 years in jail, the Old Bailey judge said.
Khater was accused of attempting to cause maximum carnage, and it was said to be “miraculous” no-one was killed.
The court was told he tried to “kill as many people as possible” with his Ford Fiesta.
CCTV footage showed how he careered into a security lane and crashed into barriers as two police officers jumped out of the way.
Alison Morgan QC told jurors Khater’s attack was “premeditated and deliberate” and had a terrorist motive.
The defendant claimed he had driven to London to find the Sudanese embassy to get a visa but “got lost” around Westminster and panicked.
However, a jury rejected his explanation for the crash and found him guilty of two charges of attempted murder in July.
In mitigation, Peter Carter QC told the court Khater had still not offered an explanation for what he did.
He argued: “The lack of evidence is not a proper basis for drawing a conclusion there is evidence of a terrorist connection.”
But Mrs Justice McGowan found Khater had deliberately copied terrorists.
“Your undoubted intention was to kill as many people as possible and by doing so spread fear and terror,” she said; adding that he had “replicated the acts of others who undoubtedly have acted with terrorist motives”.
The court heard Khater was born in Sudan before being granted asylum in Britain in 2010, claiming he had been tortured in his birth country.
In the months before the attack, Khater had showed signs of “paranoia” about British authorities, emailing Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to express concern about an “event” involving the intelligence services.
Richard Smith, head of the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command, said: “This was a man who used his car as a weapon to attempt to kill as many people as possible, spreading fear and terror.
“It was our view that this attack was carried out with a terrorist purpose and the sentence confirms this,” he added.
Charlton Athletic manager Lee Bowyer has been charged by the Football Association over comments he is alleged to have made during his side’s loss to Swansea last Wednesday.
Bowyer faces two charges of improper conduct and/or questioning the integrity of the match referee.
The allegations relate to incidents on the field and in the tunnel after his side’s 2-1 defeat at the Valley.
Bowyer has until 18:00 GMT on 9 October to respond to the charges.
A man has been found guilty of murdering his ex-girlfriend, who he strangled and buried in a flower bed at her south-west London home.
Film producer Laureline Garcia-Bertaux was found naked and wrapped in bin bags in a shallow grave in her Kew garden.
Kirill Belorusov, 32, denied murder but was found guilty at the Old Bailey and will be sentenced on Friday.
He was arrested in Estonia under a European arrest warrant and brought back to the UK to face trial.
Prosecutor Oliver Glasgow QC said: “The last few minutes of Ms Garcia-Bertaux’s life must have been truly terrifying as this defendant squeezed the very life out of her and as she struggled for her final breath, there must have been a moment of terrible clarity when she realised that the man she cared for was a liar, a cheat and a killer. “
The court heard Belorusov owed the 34-year-old victim thousands of pounds and avoided paying her back by pretending to have cancer.
There was no record of him receiving treatment at hospitals in London.
Ms Garcia-Bertaux was reported missing by worried friends when she failed to turn up to work at PR firm Golin, where she was an executive assistant.
She also worked as television and film producer and had worked with Dame Joan Collins on the 2018 short film Gerry.
The court heard in a bid to cover his tracks, Belorusov sent text messages from her phone to her friends saying she was planning a party and a “boob job”.
Belorusov worked in bars and nightclubs and claimed to have been a stuntman on the Brad Pitt film World War Z but the online IMDb film database listing -which included 148 people under the heading “stunts” – did not feature his name.
Judge Nicholas Hilliard QC said: “I’m entirely satisfied the defendant is not someone who believes the lies he tells.
“He just tells them on a scale and magnitude which I have not encountered before.
“I do not believe he has ever had cancer. I’m entirely sure of that.”
A 17-year-old girl was killed in a “very fast” and “completely unexpected” attack, a court has heard.
Jodie Chesney was sitting with friends in a park in Harold Hill, east London, when she was stabbed on 1 March.
One of the group, Kasey Henderson, told the Old Bailey “panic and hysteria” broke out when they realised the girl scout had been attacked.
Manuel Petrovic, 20, Svenson Ong-a-Kwie, 19, both from Romford, and two boys, aged 16 and 17, deny murder.
The jury heard Mr Henderson had gone to Amy’s Park after he met his twin brother Bryce, Jodie and her boyfriend Eddie Coyle at Romford station.
“We were planning on picking up cannabis from someone and smoking it at the park,” he said.
The 18-year-old said his brother had “called one of our dealers” who “were going to deliver it to the park”.
The court was told Mr Henderson later saw two males enter the park and thought they had stolen his bag when he heard a “ripping” sound and saw them running away.
The jury heard he was then “confused” to find his bag still there, but then “a lot of the panic and hysteria started”.
“Jodie screamed because of the pain and we were all confused by what was going on before we figured it out,” he said.
A 17-year-old girl, who cannot be identified, told the Old Bailey Jodie had turned slightly, and then started to scream.
She said she shone a torch on Jodie’s back and “saw a hole”.
“You could clearly see she had been stabbed because the jacket she had been wearing had fluff on the inside. The jacket had been ripped. The fluff had originally been white and you could see blood,” she said.
The witness then “called the ambulance” but by that point Jodie had stopped screaming “and her eyes started to roll back in her head”, she said.
The trial continues.
James Maddison’s first league goal of the season helped Leicester come from behind to beat Tottenham in an absorbing encounter at the King Power Stadium.
Maddison drilled a superb low effort into the far corner from distance to lift Brendan Rodgers’ side back into the top four at the visitors’ expense.
Ricardo Pereira had put the Foxes back on level terms, moments after Spurs had been denied a second goal when Serge Aurier’s low drive was disallowed for a marginal offside call against Son Heung-min.
Harry Kane’s fourth league goal of the season had given Spurs the lead in the first half, the England striker slotting Son’s clever flick beyond Kasper Schmeichel despite being knocked off balance by Foxes defender Caglar Soyuncu.
Leicester thought they had opened the scoring themselves when Wilfred Ndidi scored on the rebound after Paulo Gazzaniga spilled Youri Tielemans’ effort, but the goal was ruled out for offside by VAR.
Tightest of VAR calls denies Spurs
Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino accused his players of “lacking fight” after they surrendered a two-goal lead to draw with Olympiakos in the Champions League midweek.
The result mirrored their 2-2 draw with north London rivals Arsenal in their previous away league game, with Kane admitting after Wednesday’s Group B opener that Spurs had failed to learn from recent mistakes.
Pochettino made six changes to the team that started in Greece, with Hugo Lloris unavailable due to his wife giving birth and Dele Alli left out of the squad altogether. Christian Eriksen, Lucas Moura and Eric Dier all had to settle for places on the bench.
Perhaps as a result, the visitors looked disjointed in the early stages and were fortunate not to fall behind when Ndidi’s effort was chalked off.
There was nothing fortunate about Kane’s opener 13 minutes later, however.
The England striker managed to latch on to Son’s back-heel and despite losing his balance under Soyuncu’s challenge, he somehow managed to knock the ball past Jonny Evans before lifting it over Schmeichel into the far corner.
Spurs thought they had doubled their lead when Aurier drilled a powerful drive into the far corner, but Son was adjudged to have been marginally offside in the build-up and the goal was chalked off.
Buoyed by that narrow decision, Leicester threw bodies forward and restored parity through Pereira, before Maddison struck with five minutes remaining to extend Spurs’ winless league run away from home to nine games.
More to follow.
The Only Way Is Essex star Lewis Bloor has denied conspiring to defraud investors in an alleged £3m diamond scam.
The 29-year-old appeared alongside six other men at Southwark Crown Court where he pleaded not guilty to dishonestly marketing coloured diamonds for investment purposes.
Four of his co-defendants also denied conspiracy to defraud.
A trial has been set for 1 September next year.
Mr Bloor, of Buckhurst Hill, Essex, appeared in the ITV2 show for three years from 2013 as well as Celebrity Big Brother in 2016.
He sat in the dock with his co-defendants Joseph Jordan, 26, from Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire, George Walters, 27, from Beckenham, south-east London, Max Potter, 22, of Enfield, north London, and Nathan Wilson, 25, of Brentwood, Essex, who all also pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to defraud.
Simon Akbari, 25, from Loughton, Essex, did not enter a plea to the same charge.
Another co-defendant, 52-year-old Danny Chappell, of Bexleyheath, south-east London, denied a charge of seeking money for completing renovation works which had not been undertaken, which is alleged to have taken place on 31 May 2014.
A hearing at Westminster Magistrates’ Court last month heard there were 50 victims of the alleged fraud with “in excess” of £3m lost between 17 May 2013 and 19 June 2014.
A London borough must improve the way it deals with young offenders, the probation service watchdog has said.
Newham Council does not “adequately assess” the risk posed by young criminals, according to the HM Inspectorate of Probation.
Young people who had committed crimes were also not sufficiently helped to stop them re-offending, a report said.
Newham Council said it accepted the findings and would “bolster” its youth offending team.
Councillor James Beckles, Cabinet member for crime and community safety, said: “We fully accept the weaknesses found in our service and will take the inspectors’ recommendations on board when considering how we ensure the right improvements are made.
“We apologise to our young people who have been let down by the failings highlighted by the report.”
Services are plagued by delays and staff shortages according, the Local Democracy Reporting Service reported.
The council’s youth offending team, which supervises people aged 10 to 18 who have been sentenced in court or arrested but not charged, was deemed “inadequate”.
Overall services were reported as “requires improvement”.
Chief Inspector of Probation Justin Russell said: “Staff should work with the young person and their families to develop a robust plan that will deter them from further offending.
“As the plans were not up to the mark, it is unsurprising that the delivery was poor.”
However management were praised for their leadership.
Inspectors said the “tragic deaths of several children in the borough in recent years has resulted in a focus on keeping children safe”.
Newham is the third London borough to be inspected under the new standards and ratings system introduced last year.
Lambeth’s youth offending team was also rated as requires improvement, while Wandsworth was given a good rating.
The family of a teenager with a dairy allergy who died after he unwittingly ate buttermilk in a burger restaurant have called for a change in the law.
Owen Carey ordered grilled chicken at Byron burger at the O2 Arena in London while celebrating his 18th birthday.
He told staff about his allergy but was not told the meal included buttermilk.
After a coroner ruled he was not told about allergens that led to his death, Mr Carey’s family said the current policy left too much room for error.
Speaking outside Southwark Coroner’s Court, Mr Carey’s sister Emma Kocher said her brother’s death should not have happened.
She said the family wanted something good to come out of their loss and were calling on the government to change the law.
“It’s simply not good enough to have a policy which relies on verbal communication between the customer and their server, which often takes place in a busy, noisy restaurant where the turnover of staff is high and many of their customers are very young,” she said.
“This leaves far too much room for error on an issue we know far too well can cost lives. We hope we can bring about change with Owen’s Law for better allergen labelling in restaurants.”
The parents of Natasha Ednan-Laperouse, 15, who died after eating a Pret A Manger baguette containing sesame seeds, called the ruling a “landmark judgement”.
‘Severe anaphylactic reaction’
Earlier, assistant coroner Briony Ballard ruled: “The deceased made serving staff aware of his allergies.
“The menu was reassuring in that it made no reference to any marinade or potential allergenic ingredient in the food selected.
“The deceased was not informed that there were allergens in the order.
“The food served to and consumed by the deceased contained dairy, which caused the deceased to suffer a severe anaphylactic reaction from which he died.”
The inquest heard Mr Carey died on 22 April 2017 as he celebrated his 18th birthday with family and friends.
He ate half of his chicken before he felt his lips tingling and experienced stomach problems, the hearing was told.
The teenager collapsed 55 minutes later outside the London Eye.
Members of the public, including an RAF doctor, tried to revive him but when paramedics arrived he was “silent, not breathing and pulseless”, the hearing was told.
Mr Carey, from Crowborough, Sussex, died later at St Thomas’s Hospital in central London.
After the hearing, the CEO of Byron Simon Wilkinson said: “We take allergies extremely seriously and have robust procedures in place and although those procedures were in line with all the rules and guidelines, we train our staff to respond in the right way.”
He said the company had heard what the coroner had said about talking to customers and added: “It’s clear current rules and requirements are not enough and the industry needs to do more – more to help customers with allergies and more to raise awareness of the risks of allergies.”
Ms Ballard is expected to make recommendations at a later date about how to prevent future deaths.
After the hearing, Thomas Jervis, the Carey family’s lawyer, said no family should have to endure the same heartbreak.
He said: “The food regulations relating to allergy information are clearly not fit for purpose.
“It cannot be right that there is such room for human error on an issue that can be fatal.”
Nadim and Tanya Ednan-Laperouse said there were remarkable parallels between their daughter’s death and Mr Carey’s.
They said Mr Carey’s death highlighted the inadequacy of food information, adding: “This verdict is a landmark judgment for millions of allergy sufferers in this country and another clear statement to the food industry that things cannot go on as they are.”
What is the law on food allergy labels?
There are 14 allergens that food providers must alert people to, including nuts, milk and eggs.
Pre-packed food must have an ingredients list and, under “Natasha’s Law” which is due to come into effect on 1 October 2020, allergens must be emphasised in some way every time they appear.
For non pre-packed food, such as that sold in a restaurant, information for every item that contains any of the 14 allergens must be provided.
According to the Food Standards Agency, this could be either on a menu, chalkboard or information pack, or through a written notice like the sign above explaining how customers can find out more information, for example by asking a member of staff for details.
But Mr Carey’s family said this “leaves far too much room for error”.
They want it written beside each item on the menu which contains an allergen.